Thursday 8 March 2007

Dictaphones and stairs

NEXT REHEARSAL, FRIDAY - MEET 3.00 AT SIMPLE ON TIBB STREET

Our little jam last night went alright, not very many of us. We started with arpeggios on harmonicas and clarinet and then went on a musical stream of consciousness. I recorded with a crappy microphone onto the computer and onto 2 crappy dictophones, so the sound is brilliant ho ho. I tried syncronising the the recordings, but as I hoped, they go in and out of it depending where the musician was in relation to the two mics



Its a shame the quality is painful, but as an experiment it was good enough. Now I have to go through the recording and pick out the bits I like and write them down.

Later I dragged everyone to the stairs, and put a different musician on different landings with a dictaphone at the top and another at the bottom, Louis started a beat with the tin can and we improvised some rather creepy sounding music over the top. Again though, dictaphones are handy but very bad. Here's what the two recordings sound over each other



Well, lets hope its a nice day on Friday.

No comments: